Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Cheers, Jeers and Tears...

As my friends and family would know, this pregnancy came as a big surprise to us. This baby, although talked about a lot as a "what if" we had a sixth, what would this baby bring to our family. The only two things we could come up with were: We can even out the number of kids, and maybe we get a little boy so that we can say BOYS and GIRLS instead of BOY and GIRLS.

Now, when this baby looks back and reads this blog...I hope he or she will not feel that they were not really welcome into the family. As I have said before, you make plans and the God laughs. I had my plans to get my legs finally done, to finally lose the baby weight, to go on a vacation with my husband for our 10 year anniversary next May 2nd, to babysit my niece Abigail, to hot tub in our new jacuzzi tub at the new home. Have some drinks. Stop breastfeeding, get rid of all of the baby stuff. Most of which is already gone!!

So, when I found myself pregnant again. I had to first call my sister April and tell her that I couldn't watch Abby which broke my heart, then tell my parents over the phone so that they would know why my sister and Nick were not buying their new condo out this way. Which meant April and Nick told their in-laws etc. etc. Not exactly how I was going to share our news. But, that is indeed how the news went down.

We had some excitement, but for the most part when you announce you are pregnant with your sixth baby (seventh pregnancy) usually there is more eye rolling, silence, disbelief, comments like: Are you joking? You have got to be kidding right? Don't you know what causes that? I thought Cliff was supposed to get fixed?! Thankfully he is not broken!!

But sadly, all of the above were true. Hurts when that comes from the ones you love sometimes. We even sent out a letter telling the rest of family and friends about the news of number six. Thus the Tears in my title above.

With the first baby, and usually the second and even the third, people are generally happy for you, but I have found with experience the more kids you have, the less congrats you get. Many of my family have not even called to date. I guess they think that we shouldn't have six kids and that they will ruin us! Thankfully I know that this baby will be as loved, as much as all of the others. I know from experience that love multiplies when you have more kids. Not divides.

I posted my positive pregnancy photos on April Fool's day. I told Cliff that is the day to tell people, and not in our usual way of phone calls or scrolls, or putting a bun in the oven. I just put it out there on my blog. The responses were quite interesting!

At Easter brunch, we were lovingly greeted at the door, and my Dad made a special toast to us and the new baby. That was very meaningful to Cliff and I. Reminded me of when we told the family about our first baby, Cameron (now 7) at Christmas Dinner with all of the grand family there. Cameron was the first grandchild, and first great grandchild for our family. Now, this baby will make seven for my parents (grand children) and for my Grannie and my Oma will make ten! This is all in just eight years!

My how times have changed!

I guess I just want to state that, after the initial shock of this pregnancy has worn off, we are completely excited about the pregnancy and birth of this little one who will TRULY COMPLETE our family. I guess we will have to tell Caroline why her birth announcement said fifth and final on it lol.

The most interesting things about this pregnancy is that I have never had a December/November baby...we have become pregnant in November/December which have resulted in Cameron, Carly and Catie! And, I cannot believe that my due date is only 2 days away from my Opa's would be birthday of December 3rd. He died on December 8th last year. And when this baby is born, will be around the one year anniversary. When Caroline was born on May 2nd 2006, Opa was in the hospital. He was not expected to live. My Dad sat at his bedside in the hospital. Thankfully we had 7 more months with Opa. I am so glad we were able to celebrate his 90th on his day! Something I will never forget. I am thankful for that gift of time. I am thankful that Opa could hold his two newest grand daughters. Caroline and Abigail.

I am thankful and greatful that my two grandmother's are still alive. And, talking with my Grannie today. She said to me "Cathy, if anybody can handle six kids...it would be you." That really made me feel good. I love you Grannie.

8 comments:

Olena said...

You brought tears to my eyes...

When I told our clothest friends, reply was: whould we say congratulations or condolences? and guys were not any better: they kept saying oh my gosh, like our lives were over.
So I hear you... and we are having only third (would love to have four or five in total).

I know you for a short time and via internet but have no doubt you can handle six kids, even more if you want to. Your whole family looks very happy, kids look happy so why not?

Look forward to go through my pregnancy knowing I am not the only one.

PamnPat'sParadise said...

Add my tears to the list too!!

We've never met so for someone like myself to know how wonderful your family is already, I know that adding a new member to your family will only increase the love that is already there between you, Cliff and your wonderful children.

Don't let anyone else ever tell you any different that this child is going to "ruin your life" or "that you can't handle another one"...the real truth is, this baby was meant to be from the very start, shock or not, and there are so many people that are hoping and praying for a wonderful, happy and healthy pregnancy for you and we all can't wait to meet the newest member of your family.

((((HUGS))))

Yvonne said...

Children are a blessing, Cathy! Never forget it! Just "lump" those who can't handle you having a big family, it's great! YOU GO GIRL!

LauraC said...

I am very sorry to hear about the tears and jears. I am personally cheering over the news! You will handle six and make it look easy. Plus your attitude is so great - love multiplied by 8! You are so lucky!

Carol Kerfoot said...

Oh Cathy! You are the Mom that is made for six! I can see it not only in you but in your children. They are proof that you and Cliff are incredible parents! Anyone with negative comments or reactions is plain and simple....jealous. XXXXX

Irma said...

...children are a heritage from the LORD...Psalm 127...don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Babies are never a mistake..."in Thy book were written every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them." Psalm 139
I am confident that you'll fit this litlle one in no problem...and won't be able to imagine life without him or her! Hoping you have a wonderful pregnacy and in due time a healthy baby C!
Unfortunatley the comments don't go away(trust me!)I even have it when I go to town with four kids, and they say are all these yours?...and I just love to say YES and there ar e four more in school (-: Their mouth pretty much drops to the ground! lol ~HUGS~

Allyson said...

I own it, I admit it, when Cathy told me, I just got into work and was standing in my ice, cold office, and I in shock and said a bad, bad thing--because their wonderful news meant that my other child's news wasn't as good for Pappa and I. That meant they wouldn't be moving to Murrayville.

That said, does anyone out there tire of Christmas after Christmas? I think not, and that is what this new little wonder will be to us, a precious gift--an early Christmas gift as timing turns out, and we couldn't be more delighted.

And as for April and Nick, read April's Blog. You see, everything works out for the Besth!

My new moniker will have to be: Even 8 isn't enough! Love to all, Mom slash Nanny xxxooo

Eve said...

Oh Cathy, I have to echo all of these nice comments. Children are such a gift - ALL children. It doesn't matter what birth order, or how many siblings. etc, every child is special and unique and meant to be.

You are an amazing woman, and with your loving ways and organizational skills, you will mother those 6 monkeys better than a lot of woman do with one!

Don't let the sour people take away from the joy of this.

xo